Monday 2 November 2015

Red carpet welcomes the new season



There is normally very little that lifts the blue mood after a disrupted, cold and over packed train journey from the suburbs into central London on a Monday morning. Shoved through ticket barriers and thrust onto the concourse of Victoria station with the mass of human sardines expelled from the rolling stock of London transport a vision from the Lord appeared before me.

Ahead of me and stepping onto it was a roll of grass turf lawn rolling out before me – I immediately thought of Psalm 23 v2 “He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters”; smiling to myself with gratitude that this was a sign from the Father that the week ahead was going to be a good one and would radically improve compared to the start.

Funny thing though - as the second turf roll started to unfold it was a red carpet and it stretched ahead of me for a good distance. Almost tripping with surprise I felt that inner nudge to KEEP WALKING! Again scripture came to mind, Isaiah 45:2 ‘I will go before you and make the crooked places straight; I will break in pieces the gates of bronze and cut the bars of iron.” (NKJV)

There was a deep sense in my heart that speaks of the highway of holiness and walking confidently in the finished work of the cross – walking in the sacrifice, name, strength and righteousness’ of Christ Jesus. He has walked the walk for us and all we need do is follow.    

Step change
Keeping a lawn is typically hard work! Whereas the red carpet is laid out and prepared to receive those who will walk on it. The change in the vision indicates a roll rover from the last season into the new. All that was required was to keep walking - but as my foot landed on the red carpet I could feel the difference in my walk.

My inner being was immediately lightened and buoyant. I noticed a step-change in my walk brought about by the assurance of walking with the God of all creation by my side. It felt that stepping onto the path - the red carpet that God has prepared - there is a step change, a walking tall with a new inner knowledge and confidence of Gods providential care.

Walk away from impoverished hearts & mind-sets 
The red carpet concept also brings to mind a royal or elaborate occasion. It reminds me that we, as believers of Christ, are a royal priesthood and no longer need to walk in impoverished mind-sets, blue moods or indeed be caught up in the austerity trap so vehemently defended in our political arena.

Often we expect and settle for second best but I sense in the context of this vision that Father God wants only the very best for us and that we need to believe that the best is yet to come and abundantly.

Further reading of Isaiah 45 opened my eyes to more of what God was revealing:
  • Doors that have been closed to us will open – double doors to boot!
  • Barriers that hinder our journey with God and block the way to us fulfilling the work of God will be removed,
  • Hidden treasure and resources will be released to complete the building of God’s kingdom or to further the work or indeed to scale up on things here on earth, and
  • The Father will strengthen us in the work that is at hand and that His righteousness – that is Christ Jesus, will rain down on us.

Rain down - let it pour
What an amazingly wondrous God we serve – Monday blues and the weight of back to back deadlines swept away with the promise of  God’s red carpet treatment with verse 8 from the chapter ringing in my heart; “Rain down, you heavens, from above, And let the skies pour down righteousness; Let the earth open, let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together. I, the Lord, have created it.”