Monday 1 February 2016

Evacuation: stay awake, be prepared, be alert

Subsequent to this post on Monday 4th I have unexpectedly been caught up in one evacuation exercise at London Bridge station, a power failure in our road that had alarm bells ringing and an actual evacuation at Victoria station on Friday morning 5th of February.

Whilst I do believe we should be contending in prayer for the safety of London - what I sense from all of this is an acceleration of heavenly activity on our behalf. A 'word' published, practiced and materialized in one week. In my book this signals significant change that will no doubt astound us. #Remarkable!

The initial post on Monday 4th of February 2016 

If it weren’t for a, “please come and get me” emergency phone call from my 18 year old son at 1 am on January the 3rd I may have missed a key 2016 message from the Lord. The message being, STAY AWAKE, BE ALERT AND PREPARE FOR EVACUATION.

No matter your denomination or theology - we have a closing window of opportunity to prepare our hearts and minds for the coming of the Groom. Time to allow the Holy Spirit to illuminate the Word to inspire and encourage us. 
There is an urgency in all of this to:

  • cut-away all non-essentials from our day to day lives. To remove the barriers or clutter that keeps us from growing in the knowledge of Christ.
  • embed the Word of God in our hearts and minds – to let the Word dwell richly in us to propel us into all the goodness of God, and
  • seek and grow in the knowledge and fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Himself says in John 14: 15 to 21 (NKJV)

“If you love Me, keep My commandments. I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever. The Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”  

Be prepared to evacuate

In response to my 1am emergency phone call and sleepily walking to my car I was confronted with one almighty scene of organised chaos. My road had been set up as the control centre for a mass evacuation of the area - half a block from my front door. Fire, police, military and ambulance trucks lined the street – officials were clad in safety suites, gas masks and breathing apparatus. Nearly 500 residents, in an array of nightwear, were being ushered from their homes to reception areas as a result of a major gas pipe burst and leak. 

On returning home from the central London pick-up – we were told to stay awake and be alert. Even though we could smell & hear the hissing gas our road was not in immediate danger but the authorities advised we should stay alert and be prepared to evacuate if the situation changed.  

Evacuation dream (2004)

This entire situation reminded me of a dream I’d had in 2004 – one of two dreams. In the dream it was evening and I was standing with my two sons on top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill was a highway filled with coaches and emergency services preparing for a mass evacuation. 

An official looking woman, clad in white coat and clipboard in hand approached me. She told me our names were on the list and we were only allowed to carry a backpack of essentials. Importantly though she stressed we had to have in our hands a container of water and a bible. We had to wait where we were and move when we heard the “evacuate” call.

I’ve puzzled over this dream for some years, understanding that the water and bible in hand is the Word and the Holy Spirit. Over the last 18 months, due to circumstance, has been a period of cutting away material excess and learning to live with the essentials.

The dream setting and instruction corresponds so closely with the events of 3rd January. Stay awake – be prepared – be alert. 

Other similar links 

  1. Stay awake, be prepared (2015)
  2. Sleeper arise (2011)  
  3. Ensure your lamps are full of oil (2011)